Saturday, November 22, 2008

Storm Madness


So where do we begin? Okay Friday morning I decided to go directly to the Verizon store close to my job on Montague St. here in Brooklyn to see if I could snag a Blackberry Storm. Like any of the previous models, there was a buzz with this Blackberry especially since this was the first touch model. Although this was the case, I did expect what I was about to walk into. So I went to the store about 8:45 am, the store was supposed to open at 9:00am but as I walked into the store there was like fifty people already lined up and signed in already. I signed in and began to wait like the rest. As more people began to pile into the store I became restless since nobody seemed to be leaving with any phones. I asked the manager what was going on and he said that the system was down. I asked him how many Storms did they have and he replied they has and with 22. Now if my math was correct that means if I'm like number thirty or so I would not be getting a phone even though that was the case he proceeded to keep people there to order a phone to be delivered. I left immediately to go and order my phone at my office from Verizon's website. As the day went on and as I read the various technology blogs it seemed like this shortage was nationwide. Was it that Verizon shipped too little Storms? That seemed true until I read it was due to a software update that Verizon’s engineers could not fix in time for the launch so they had to downgrade the units to the older operating system in the meantime. At first I could not get why the stores were getting like ten units when the demand was so high. After reading why I knew the reason. My order was placed and I was merely waiting to for confirmation. Now I'm reading that if you placed an order before 2:00pm Friday that your Storm will be shipped no later than the November 25 and if the order was placed after 2:00pm that it'll be shipped by December 5th, also any order placed November 22nd or later will be shipped by December 15th. Wow great job Verizon, way to botch a launch. Although I placed my order before 2:00pm I'm still not optimistic that I'll get a storm before December. All of this run around for just a phone. Geez!!!

2 comments:

Misha said...

well did you get it?

TheKing said...

nope still waiting